Courtney Cares

To those of you finding this blog through the "Courtney Cares" boxes, know that we are deeply sorry for your loss. Our hope and prayer is that you find comfort in the lasting memories of your baby through the items provided in your memory box. Each box was prepared with love, and before they were given to the hospital we prayed for the family that would receive them, and we continue to do so.

Life is the journey. Heaven is the destination!

I've shared with you, in previous posts, about my hope of being reunited with Courtney in heaven, when it is my turn to be called home by God. I recently read a book called "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent. You can see information here: http://www.heavenisforreal.net/.

This book shares the journey of 4-year old Colton. He was a very sick little boy, and the doctors did not give the family positive encouragement after surgery. Not only did he heal, he has now shared parts of his story of being in heaven for "3 minutes"- the things he saw, the people he met, and the conversations he had with Jesus. The stories Colton tells about heaven are so simple and straightforward, yet so inspiring and encouraging.

Heaven... the place that has been prepared for us and that we will see through God's grace. I've shared with people over the past almost 3 months that my "concept" of heaven has changed since we lost Courtney. I have always viewed heaven as the end goal, as the final destination where I'll be reunited with my mom, grandparents, uncles, and friends who have gone before me. I've thought of my mom greeting me, showing me around. I've thought of how much fun it will be to pick on my grandmother again (she was such a good sport) and to have a cup of really strong coffee with her and my grandpa. I've thought about seeing my other grandpa and two uncles who all left this earth way too soon, as long as my grandpa doesn't try to give me one of his infamous "whisker rubs"! I look forward to uncontrollable laughing with my Great Uncle Bob and Uncle Paul, the kind of laughter that makes you cry, and laughter that makes you want to grip your stomach because of the workout your abs got from laughing so hard. Now, my thought of heaven has changed to being greeted by Courtney, seeing life in her for the first time, and being able to get to know her in a way that I couldn't while she was with us. I have a sense of anticipation in knowing what awaits. Courtney is now my thought of my entrance to heaven after seeing Jesus. (Colton, in the "Heaven is for Real" book tells a dying man not to worry, that Jesus is the first person you'll see in heaven.)

The best way I can describe my changing of thought about heaven is through "adult Christmas" and "child Christmas".  Let me try to explain:

To me, Christmas as an adult is about spending time with loved ones, and reflecting on the fact that the birth of Christ was the beginning of the resurrection story. Without the birth of Jesus we would not have the sacrifice that gives us the guarantee of heaven through the grace of God.

Christmas as a kid, though, was very different. There was typically that ONE gift that I hoped for every year... the ONE thing that I hoped I would see as I tried to rip off wrapping paper fast enough to see if it was in one of the packages. Would I hit the gift jackpot? Only time would tell.. well, time and a bit of what I thought was smart detective work while snooping through the house looking for the stash of gifts. The book "Heaven is for Real" is a bit of a "snoop" into what lies ahead.

Before having Courtney, heaven was more like the adult Christmas... looking forward to spending time with family who had gone before, enjoying the togetherness and living the promise of heaven.  Heaven after Courtney is more like Christmas as a kid. There is a sense of eager anticipation, wondering what the "gift of heaven" will hold.  I know part of what that gift (heaven) is going to include, and it still doesn't take away ANY of the anticipation.

One of the very first "visions" I had of Courtney after she was born was an image of my mom taking Courtney by the hand and showing her around heaven. I can see my mom introducing her to all of those who have been called home to heaven, and I can imagine how proud my mom is to have her granddaughter in her arms. With my mom, a grandma, two grandpas, three uncles, and lots of others, I'm sure Courtney has not spent a moment alone since she arrived. I've had visions of Courtney sitting on the lap of Jesus, and what a comfort that provides to me.  I anticipate being called "mom" by Courtney when it's my time to be called home. Until then, I know Jesus and my mom will take good care of my little peanut, but I hope they can keep her away from grandpa's whisker rubs, and I hope they don't let grandma give her too much coffee!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! This is a beautiful way to look at things. I must admit, Heaven is still a HUGE mystery, and sometimes an almost 'scary' unknown for me. I will have to get that book - I've read others, like "90 Minutes in Heaven" and have been working my way through Randy Alcorn's "Heaven". Very sweet thoughts here, Kirsten. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete